Friday, January 24, 2014

Ready, Set, Go!


My favorite storybook growing up was Ten in the Bed. My mom tells me I would never get tired of reading about the elephant, zebra, rabbit and other animals that rolled out of the crowded bed and onto the floor. She likes to remind me how she would read me this story before bed over, and over, and over…and over. It still sits on the bookshelf and the worn paperback cover is visible proof.

Last night I was reminded how young kids thrive on repetition. Stutat and I sat facing each other across the kitchen table and an impromptu game of “roll-the-tube-of-Vicks-vapor-rub” began. I felt a bit like Hobbes, the stuffed tiger, trying to understand the ever-changing rules of “Calvinball.”

The tube was rolled (and sometimes thrown, kicked, or flicked like a shuffleboard puck) back and forth between us. Inspired by Stutat’s tireless concentration, I took advantage of the teaching moment.

“Ready, set, go,” I repeated as the tube changed hands, encouraging him to use simple English commands. Stutat quickly picked up on the chant, playfully mimicking my intonations. Occasionally he would jumble the words and yell, “EEE-SOOOO!” displaying his excitement with a vigorous launch of the tube across the room.

Repetition isn’t reserved just for bedtime stories and kitchen table games, though. In nearly every Nepali conversation, I’ve had to stop and ask, “pheri bhannus?” which means, “please repeat.” This act of repetition clarifies the conversation (which would have helped the time when I brought back mushrooms, instead of apples, from the market. In my defense, the words sound very similar!) Not only this, but repetition also reinforces active listening as our brains strain to catch the missed information. And while my Nepali is far from perfect, asking “pheri?” has helped me with Nepali vocabulary.

Whether it’s rolling a tube of Vick’s vapor rub or learning the difference between apples and mushrooms, repetition is a great learning tool –at any age. 

No comments:

Post a Comment