Friday, August 30, 2013

Finger Painting...with Food!


August 24

Being in Nepal, I’ve realized that there are times when I feel as if I am five-years old again.

I am relearning how to eat. It turns out eating rice with your hands takes practice. I’ve mastered scooping the potato and green bean curries into my mouth, but as hard as I try I can’t seem to coax the last few grains of rice off my plate as gracefully as my other family members, including my 7-year-old sister. I guess I’m still working on becoming a member of the clean plate club. I also have to practice not making a 6-inch splash zone all the way around my plate…
I have, however, enjoyed the phrase “finger-lickin’ good,” since I’ve learned that to clean your hands after finishing is to give all your fingers a good ol’ lick. Mmm mm.

I get to carry a lunch box again. More specifically, a bright pink plastic one borrowed from Spandan. On the morning of my second day of school, Anita called me into the kitchen and handed me my snack she had packed in the cartoon-covered lunchbox. The other teachers have loved teasing me about it almost as much as they love sharing the freshly made roti that’s inside.

I play dress-up on a regular basis. Having an American in the house has been a novelty not only for Spandan and Stuath but for the adults as well, especially Aamaa and Shanti. In preparation for the upcoming woman’s festival, Tij, Shanti raided her closet and has been coaching me on the proper way to wear the crazy red hairpiece, green beaded necklaces and red tikka. The next step: getting fitted for a red sari to wear for the occasion!

Being in a house of three teachers (in addition to Dai, my aamaa and baa are both retired teachers), I’ve been getting a lot of Nepali lessons. Aamaa has enjoyed teaching me Nepali children songs to help with my vocabulary and I’m currently learning one about a tortoise and a hare (I think, based on her accompanying hand motions!)






No comments:

Post a Comment