Friday, August 30, 2013

The Itsy Bitsy Spider

August 27


Spandan and Stuath like to help me color my flashcards for class. As soon as they spot me walking home from school, they call out from the open window to the street below, “Didi! Color!”

Within a few minutes, there are dozens of 3x5 index cards sprawled across my bedroom floor mixed in with a tangle of arms, legs, and colored pencil shavings.

Stuath has taken an affinity to the “S” cards over the past few days and yesterday asked “Yo ke ho? What is this?” as he reached for “spider.”

Now, I’ve never had a problem with spiders. I don’t mind rescuing a few lost arachnids that find their way into bags, boots, or (my personal favorite) the corner of the wall next to my pillow.

But quite honestly, I’m not the biggest fan of the big, brown, and hairy spider that has made its home in my toilet. It’s nowhere near itsy. It’s definitely not bitsy. And it has made going to the bathroom a very complicated process.

So this morning, it was time for battle royal. Armed with a water gun borrowed from Stuath’s collection of toys and courage from a huge second helping of dhal bhat for breakfast, I marched into the bathroom to face my eight-legged opponent.

Nepali spiders must have some kind of ninja training. Or find some kind of energy drink to snack on. Either way, this one was fast and had made up his mind that he wasn’t going anywhere. However, after a nearly fatal battle (for both me and the spider –tile floors become very slippery when wet!), I emerged soaked, yet victorious.

Annie: 1. Toilet Spider: 0.


No comments:

Post a Comment