Friday, October 25, 2013

I Have the Chicken Pox


 …or at least my fifth graders think so!

It all started the day Laxman-sir, my headmaster, walked into the staffroom and asked, “So, how do you feel about teaching science?”

Heck, as long as it’s not math, I’ll give it a go, I thought. The previous science teacher was recently reassigned to another school, leaving grades 4 and 5 without a science teacher. I gladly accepted the request, already picturing simple, but fun, experiments to try with the students. Baking soda volcanoes. Balloon rockets. 3-D solar system models. How difficult could it be?

Opening up to the lesson I was supposed to teach, I was given a rude awakening. Communicable and non-communicable diseases. Woof. Scanning the list, I realized the easiest way to explain things like whooping cough, mumps, and measles to my students would be through acting out symptoms. Which worked perfectly until we got to “chicken pox.”

“They’re spots on your skin that itch,” I explained, motioning to my arms and face. The students faces changed from mild interest to surprise to horror before they started whispering among themselves and looking nervously at me.

“Miss! Miss! You have chicken pox?!” brave Purnima asked for the rest of the class. She gestured wildly at my nose and cheeks. “Spots!”

And this is what happens, folks, when you don’t have enough Nepali to explain the difference between chicken pox and freckles…

No comments:

Post a Comment