Thursday, November 28, 2013

Giving Thanks


I’m not gonna lie. Living and teaching in a foreign country is hard, especially during the holidays. This Thanksgiving, I left the 1,000+ turkey trotters in Ridgefield to enjoy their chilly 5K race, Al Roker’s always fashionable hats as he gives commentary on the giant Snoopy balloon in the Macy’s parade, and homemade brussell sprouts. For all you sprout haters out there, it’s because you haven’t tasted the ones my mom roasts, brushes with just a touch of olive oil and lemon juice, and sprinkles with salt and pepper. Oof. I’m drooling on my keyboard.

Daily life can be challenging.  Learning a new language can get frustrating. Living with eight other family members can be overwhelming. Well-planned lessons doesn’t always go…well, as planned.

But being in Nepal has also brought me immense joy. I can always count on my students to put a smile on my face. In an effort to spread the Thanksgiving spirit (I don’t know if there is such a thing, but if Christmas gets one, why should Thanksgiving get the short end of the drum stick?), I asked each of my seventh graders to say what they were thankful for during attendance this morning. Amid the repeated responses of “family,” “friends,” and “school,” I was surprised by one quiet 7th grade girl who was squeezed on a crowded bench against the wall.

“I’m thankful for time,” she said.

Time. Hmm.

Time allows us to grow, to adjust, to create a new “normal” for ourselves. Things that I would consider unusual back in the states have now simply become a way of life. Three hour laundry sessions at the tap (these make me think twice before tossing that kurta into the laundry pile…). Frequent power outages due to Nepal’s loadshedding schedule. Eating with my hands. The sideways headshake to indicate “yes.” My time here has taught me to push past my comfort zone –sometimes wayyyy past –and realize oh, hey! I made it to the other side.

Time allows us to heal. I was devastated last week when I learned one of the grade nine students at my school committed suicide due to a failed love interest because of inter-caste social rules. The girl was 15. And this isn’t the first instance where this happened since I’ve been here. I know things like this happen in the states but it also makes me wonder how much could have been avoided if other social structures were in place (and I say this while trying to be mindful of having an egocentric “western” view). It’s not common in village life to address mental health or offer counseling programs but I’ve started to think about what types of culturally appropriate options could be made available. It’s instances like these that I think only having 4 months left is not nearly long enough.

Time also brings us surprises. While sitting at the kitchen table eating dinner a few nights ago, my aamaa asked if I wanted to go to the hospital. “Uh, sure?” I responded, followed by a muddled Nepali sentence to tell her that I wasn’t sick. No, she explained. My sister-in-law was due to have a baby! As I walked hand-in-hand with her into the delivery room of the only public hospital in town, I realized I just might be witnessing my first birth. I was a bit relieved when a few hours later I was no longer in the delivery room when she gave birth to a healthy baby boy! (He’s not yet been named –feel free to offer up your suggestions here!)

Reflecting on this past year and especially the past few months, I recognize I have much to be thankful for. I am grateful for an incredibly supportive family that has kept me inspired and grounded, even from halfway around the world. I am thankful for my friends who have made me laugh by sending me notes with glimpses of post-grad life, trading late nights and microwave mac’n’cheese for early bedtimes and busy work schedules. I am also fortunate for my new friends and family here in Nepal who have shared in my laugher, occasional frustrations, and have helped me create a sense of community. I recognize how incredibly fortunate I am to have an incredible education and the opportunity to continue to learn from my experiences. 

I, too, am thankful for time. 

2 comments:

  1. Me too,thankful for time and you. I liked your quick reflection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Annie, it's your cousin Meagan. I am not as tech savvy as you are but I hope this reaches you! I have been following your blog and its awesome but this post really brought tears to my eyes. Such compelling and beautiful words! You are amazing and I'm thankful that the world has been blessed by all your awesomeness. Yes, I know that awesomeness is not a word but it should be!! Keep up the great work. I'm so proud of you and love you very much. Have a very Merry Christmas with your families ;) can't wait to see you when you get home! Oh and happy kwanza too.....

    ReplyDelete